Client: Port of Long Beach (POLB)
Project: Cyber Security Network and Systems Support
Role: Project Management, Cybersecurity and Network Vulnerability and Assessment, Penetration Testing, Remediation and Training
E.K. Associates and its team are working with the Port of Long Beach Security Division in implementation of a three-year Cyber Security Network Support contract. The scope of work is to provide high level assessment and remediation services for enhancing the Port of Long Beach Security Division’s cyber security, and perform remediation of potential vulnerabilities and security gaps that could be exploited by hackers, malicious insiders, equipment misconfigurations, etc.
Our technical approach included conducting a detailed review of the Port of Long Beach Security Division asset profile through the use of advanced discovery and collection tools, and characterize the risks to people, processes, and technology using standards, regulations, and best practices excerpted from guidance from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS). E.K. Associates and team of subcontractors used this model to classify the Information Technology risk level, and apply security controls and security baselines that are consistent with the mission criticality of the Port of Long Beach Security Division operations.
Our deployment of specialized and commercial off the shelf tools enhance visibility to the Port of Long Beach Security Division configurations and assets, which are used to apply and maintain a consistent baseline of security, and apply updated patches, file fixes, and security technical implementation processes that aid in the continuous monitoring processes to make sure that the Port of Long Beach is secured against zero day exploits and emerging cyber security threats.
Future activities include assessment and security activities relevant to wireless security, policy and procedure enhancement, business continuity, disaster recovery and incident response planning/testing.
E.K. Associates is providing the following:
- Cyber and Network support which includes:
- Configuration validation – 100% identification of system devices and components to be evaluated and tested for cyber security
- Assessment of current Network architecture and configuration
- Identify communications paths and traffic visualization
- Firewall, router, ports and protocol analysis
- Performance optimization and configuration
- Installation of Cybersecurity monitoring and Intrusion tools
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Evaluate network topology and physical security controls for protection of network architecture and components
- Perform high level assessment of security controls using the NIST Cybersecurity framework
- Evaluate systems on order and to be implemented for HSPD-12 and FIPS 201 compliance (multi-factor authentication)
- Provide recommendations and roadmap for leading-edge reference architecture
- Reporting of deficiencies and methodology to mitigate risk(s)
- Cybersecurity vulnerability assessment and penetration testing
- Detection of Cybersecurity vulnerabilities and threats
- Establish prioritized plan of action for risk mitigation
- Installation and configuration of network and host based intrusion detection and prevention tools
- Recommendations to increase security and optimize security processes and methodology at Port
- Policy and Procedures – Evaluate technical, management and operational security controls used to protect POLB systems
- Configuration Standards validation – 100% inventory of proper configurations using DISA and NSA provided Security Technical Implementation Guidelines and SCAP Security Requirements
- Provide recommendations and roadmap for assessment of strong authentication and multi-factor authentication to protected assets
- Evaluation – Audit, log, and notification parameters
- Configuration Management, Incident Response, Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery procedures
- Cybersecurity Training.